Friday, February 13, 2009

a crush...it's really all too much

It seems that when you are an 11-yr. old, 5th grade boy, it is no longer appropriate to exchange little fold-in-half, stickered Valentines with your classmates.

"Mom, that's for LITTLE kids."

EXCEPT, last night as we're getting ready for bed, Young Boy announces that there is ONE Valentine that he'll be needing to prepare for his "girlfriend" and then produces a bottlecap that he's made especially for her (alone in his room when he was supposed to be sleeping this week.) Good heavens, the kid used GLITTER and PINK RHINESTONES all by himself (from an old Klutz kit that he had stashed in his closet.)

On one hand, I was devastated because how could the child even look at another girl, besides his lovely mama? On the other hand, I was beaming...because seriously, look at this handmade gift, straight from his heart...and he used glitter! That's my boy!

Oh, and even the mention of the word "girlfriend" was a big breakthrough. I suspected...but Young Boy would never before discuss such things with his mother. I guess this sweet holiday brings out the best in all of us.

4 comments:

Amy said...

You leave the poor kid alone! :)

Blog said...

I have to say that that is one of the sweetest things I have ever heard. I hope one day my little princess can meet someone as sweet as him...many, many, many years from now! :) Happy early Valentine's Day!

ELK said...

uh oh...it has only just begun, very cute ! ELK

Catch The Snark said...

Haha...Amy's comment :)
How fun is that? It's a good sign that he's using his noggin and going the extra mile.

Has he been reading How To Talk To Girls????!